Assoc Prof Ali Asgar Saleem Bhagat
Department of Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering, NUS
Institute for Health Innovation & Technology (iHealthtech), NUS
Research Interests: Wearable Devices, Physiological Sensors, Signal Processing, Product Development, Diagnostic Development
|2009||Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical EngineeringUniversity of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA|
|2006||Master of Science, Electrical EngineeringUniversity of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA|
|2003||Bachelor of Engineering, Electronics and Communication EngineeringUniversity of Madras, Chennai, INDIA|
|2002||Diploma in Information TechnologyNational Institute for Information Technology (NIIT), Chennai, INDIA|
|2018 – Present||Associate Professor (Practice), Department of Biomedical EngineeringNational University of Singapore, SINGAPORE|
|2018 – Present||Senior Translation Manager, Institute for Health Innovation and Technology (iHealthtech)National University of Singapore, SINGAPORE|
|2018 – Present||Principal Manager, Commercialization – Biomedical Sciences (BMS) DivisionAccelerate Technologies Pte Ltd, Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)|
|2017 – 20182011 – 2017
|Chief Operating Officer (COO)Senior Technical Director
Biolidics Ltd (formerly Clearbridge Biomedics Pte Ltd), SINGAPORE
|2009 – 2011||Research ScientistSingapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology Centre (SMART), SINGAPORE|
|2009||Visiting Scientist, Research Laboratory of ElectronicsMassachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA|
- Medical device development
- Diagnostic development
- Cell separation technologies
Selected Awards & Honours
- 2017 – Innovative Biomedical Company of the Year by BioSingapore
- 2014 – Winner TiE Silicon Valley Top Start-up , USA
- 2012 – Asian Innovation Awards – Gold Prize The Wall Street Journal, in partnership with Credit Suisse 2012 Asian Innovation Awards
- 2012 – Asian Entrepreneurship Award
- 2009 – Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award, University of Cincinnati, OH, USA
- 2003 – PhD Graduate Scholarship, University of Cincinnati, OH, USA
Membership in Scientific/Professional Organization
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
Selected Journal Publications
- Su Bin Lim, Triffany Yeo, Wen Di Lee, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Swee Jin Tan, Daniel S-W- Tan Wan-Teck Lim, and Chwee Teck Lim, “Addressing cellular heterogeneity in tumor and circulation for refined prognostication,” PNAS, vol. 116, pp. 17957-17962, 2019.
- Yifang Lee, Guofeng Guan, and Ali Asgar S Bhagat, “ClearCell® FX, a label-free microfluidics technology for enrichment of viable circulating tumor cells,” Cytometry Part A, vol. 93, pp. 1251-1254, 2018.
- Majid Ebrahimi Warkiani, Bee Luan Khoo, Lidan Wu, Andy Kah Ping Tay, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Jongyoon Han, and Chwee Teck Lim, “Ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells from blood using spiral microfluidics,” Nature Protocol, vol. 11, pp. 134-148, 2016.
- Weng Kung Peng, Tian Fook Kong, Chee Sheng Ng, Lan Chen, Yongxue Huang, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Nam-Trung Nguyen, Peter Rainer Preiser, and Jongyoon Han, “Micro magnetic resonance relaxometry for label-free, rapid malaria diagnosis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 20, pp. 1069-1073, 2014.
- Bee Luan Khoo, Majid Ebrahimi Warkiani, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Darryl Irwin, Dawn Pingxi Lau, Alvin S. T. Lim, Kiat Hon Lim, Sai Saktee Krisna, Wan Teck Lim, Yoon Sim Yap, Soo Chin Lee, Ross A. Soo, Jongyoon Han, and Chwee Teck Lim, “Clinical validation of an ultra high-throughput microfluidic device for detection and enrichment of rare circulating tumor cells in blood,” PLoS ONE, vol. 9(7), e99409, 2014.
- Majid Ebrahimi Warkiani, Guofeng Guan, Bee Luan Khoo, Wong Cheng Lee, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Parthiv Kant Chaudhuri, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Wan Teck Lim, Soo Chin Lee, Peter C Y Chen, Chwee Teck Lim, Jongyoon Han, “Slanted spiral microfluidics for the ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells,” Lab Chip, vol. 14, pp. 128-137, 2014.
- Guofeng Guan, Lidan Wu, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Zirui Li, Peter C. Y. Chen, Shuzhe Chao, Chong J. Ong, and Jongyoon Han, “Spiral microchannel with rectangular and trapezoidal cross-sections for size based particle separation,” Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group), 3, 1475, 2013.
- Majid Ebrahimi Warkiani, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Bee Luan Khoo, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim, Hai Qing Gong and Anthony G. Fane, “Isoporous micro/nanoengineered membranes,” ACS Nano, vol. 7, pp. 1882-1904, 2013.
- Han Wei Hou, Majid Ebrahimi Warkiani, Bee Luan Khoo, Zi Rui Li, Ross Soo, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Wan-Teck Lim, Jongyoon Han, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat* and Chwee Teck Lim, “Isolation and retrieval of circulating tumor cells using centrifugal forces,” Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group), 3, 1259.
- Dirk De Bruyker, Michael I. Recht, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Francisco E. Torres, Alan. G. Bell and Richard H. Bruce, “Rapid mixing of sub-microliter drops by magnetic micro-stirring,” Lab Chip, vol. 11, pp. 3313-3319, 2011.
- Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Han Wei Hou, Leon D. Li, Chwee Teck Lim and Jongyoon Han, “Pinched flow coupled shear-modulated inertial microfluidics for high-throughput rare blood cell separation,” Lab Chip, vol. 11, pp. 1870-1878, 2011.
- Wong Cheng Lee, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Sha Huang, Krystyn Van Vliet, Jongyoon Han and Chwee Teck Lim, “High throughput cell cycle synchronization using inertial forces in spiral microchannels,” Lab Chip, vol. 11, pp. 1359-1367, 2011.
- Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Hansen Bow, Han Wei Hou, Swee Jin Tan, Chwee Teck Lim and Jongyoon Han, “Microfluidics for cell separation,” Biol. Eng. Comput., vol. 48, pp. 999-1014, 2010.
- Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, S. Kuntaegowdanahalli and Ian Papautsky, “Inertial microfluidics for sheath-less high-throughput flow cytometry,” Biomed. Microdevices, vol. 12, pp. 187-195, 2010.
- S. Kuntaegowdanahalli, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Girish Kumar and Ian Papautsky, “Inertial microfluidics for continuous particle separation in spiral microchannels,” Lab Chip, vol. 9, pp. 2973-2980, 2009.
- Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, S. Kuntaegowdanahalli and Ian Papautsky, “Inertial microfluidics for continuous particle filtration and extraction,” Microfluid. Nanofluid., vol. 7, pp. 217-226, 2009.
- Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, S. Kuntaegowdanahalli and Ian Papautsky, “Continuous particle separation in spiral microchannels using Dean flow based differential migration,” Lab Chip, vol. 8, pp. 1906-1914, 2008.
- Subhashish Dasgupta, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Marc Horner, Ian Papautsky and Rupak Banerjee, “Effects of applied electric field and microchannel wetted perimeter on electro-osmotic velocity,” Nanofluid., vol. 5, pp. 185-192, 2008.
- Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Preetha Jothimuthu and Ian Papautsky, “Photodefinable polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) for rapid lab-on-a-chip prototyping,” Lab Chip, vol. 7, pp. 1192-1197, 2007.
- Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Erik T.K. Peterson, and Ian Papautsky, “A passive planar micromixer with obstructions for mixing at low Reynolds numbers,” Micromech. Microeng., vol. 17, pp. 1017-1024, 2007.